How are things at school?
Look at the pictures. Guess the job, place or country
Answer the questions
1. What do people from the pictures do? What are their professions?
✔ A doctor.
2. What do you want to do after school? Why?
✔ I want to be a teacher. I think it is interesting.
3. Where do you want to study: what country, university? Why?
✔ I want to study in the USA, in Harvard. It is a good university.
Learn new words
Read the definitions or turn the pictures over
|a course||/kɔːs/||what you want to study, for example, English, Mathematics.|
|an application||/ˌæp.lɪˈkeɪ.ʃən/||a formal document you send to the college or university when you want to study there|
|to fill in||/fɪl in/||to write information in a document|
|a deadline||/ˈded.laɪn/||the last day when you can do something|
|grades||/ɡreɪd/||marks you have at school (for example, A, B or 5, 4)|
|a personal statement||/ˈpɜː.sən.əl ˈsteɪt.mənt/||a document about you, what you like, why you want to study in this college, what subjects are interesting for you|
|a school reference||/skuːl ˈref.ər.əns/||a recommendation letter from someone from your school, usually teachers|
Practise new words
Match the words with the definitions
Find the word
Put the correct word in the sentence
Put the words in the correct order
What do you need to do to go to college?
✔ To fill in some documents.
Put the steps in the correct order
Choose the correct answer
Look at the pictures and answer the questions
Imagine you want to go to study at Cambridge.
1. What course do you want to study?
2. What college do you want to study at?
3. Look at the first and second parts of the application form. What can you write there?
4. What are your grades at school?
5. Who can give you a school reference? Why?
6. Why do you want to study this course?
7. Why should we choose you?
Now you can:
1. apply to college in English;
2. understand videos about the application process;
3. talk about the application process.
3. fill in
- a personal statement
- school reference