How are things at school?
Read the advertisement. Say if you would like to live in the house or not
Canterville Chase is a very large, old house in the country. There are many rooms, including a library. There’s a big garden. The house comes with one terrifying ghost.
Describe the house
— The Chase was…
— There was/ were…
|The place||Around the castle||Inside the castle|
|in the countryside |
|a library |
a long corridor
paintings on the walls
Match the values
Guess the character
1. He thinks the ghost is funny. He removes the bloodstain from the library every morning.
2. He’s not frightened by the ghost. He doesn’t believe in ghosts.
3. She is very frightened by the ghost and faints every time she sees him.
4. She doesn’t like the bloodstain in the library and asks the servant to remove it.
Put the verbs into the correct forms
Write a letter from Washington Otis
1. Does he like England?
2. What does he think about the castle?
3. What did he do when he saw the bloodstain?
4. How does he treat the ghost?
— to move
— to be afraid of
— to scare
— to laugh
— to remove
— to play tricks on
— to feel sorry
Three weeks ago my family moved to England.
The ghost wrote what the Otises did to him. Correct the facts
Speak about the ghost and his story
1. How did Sir Simon treat his wife?
2. What did his wife’s brothers do to him?
3. How did he try to terrify the American family?
4. How did he feel when he couldn’t scare the family?
5. What did he ask Virginia to do?
Retell the story and say how you felt when you read it. Explain why
How you felt
|Canterville Chase |
|Mr. Otis |
The ghost of Sir Simon Canterville
|to move |
to buy a house
to make fun of
to play tricks on
to feel sorry for
to be free
Now you can
Now you can:
1. Retell the story in English.
2. Use past tenses for retelling.
|1. thunderstorm||7. funeral||13. excited||19. terrify||25. find out|
|2. blood||8. suit of armor||14. bored||20. scare||26. leave alone|
|3. skeleton||9. haunted||15. worried||21. make fun of||27. put on|
|4. jewel||10. cursed||16. angry||22. feel sorry for||28. take off|
|5. castle||11. scared||17. nervous||23. look after||29. play a trick on|
|6. servant||12. frightened||18. terrified||24. make noise|