Tell what time it is in different cities. It’s 11:25 in London now. (Use the 24-hour system.)
- London is ten hours behind Sydney.
- Sydney is two hours ahead of Tokyo.
- New York is five hours behind London.
- Rio is one hour ahead of New York.
The Eurostar train driver
Brian Law is a train driver for Eurostar. He drives high-speed trains in England and in Europe. Brian works four days a week. Sometimes he’s free at the weekend, but usually he works on Friday and Saturday. Friday and Saturday are very busy days for Eurostar because everybody wants to go on holiday or go home for the weekend. Eurostar runs every day (but it doesn’t run on Christmas Day). The first train to Paris leaves London at 5.25 in the morning, so Brian starts work at 4.30. In one day he does two or three journeys between London and Paris. He finishes work at 12.00 noon. Sometimes he starts late — at 4.00 p.m. — and works until 11.30 at night. Sometimes he doesn’t go home at the end of the day, he stays in Paris.
The journey takes 2 hours 15 minutes, and the train travels at 300 km/h. It doesn’t go so fast in the tunnel — it only goes at 160 km/h when it travels through the tunnel. It carries 794 passengers. When the train is in France, Brian speaks to his controllers in French. His French is very good. He has a lot of French friends, and his son, Toby, goes to stay with them in Paris. Brian earns £45,000 a year. In his free time he likes going out with his wife, Angela, and walking their dogs. Angela is a chef, so she works at weekends too. She has Monday free and goes walking with Brian. He has 25 days of holiday a year. Where does he go on holiday? ‘France, of course!’ says Brian.
Read the article again. Complete the sentences.
Example: Brian usually works on Friday and Saturday.
Prepare 1-minute speech on the topic «My day»
Give full answers to the questions:
1. What time do you wake up?
2. What do you do in the morning?
3. What time do you finish your work and what do you do after that?
4. What do you do in the evening?
5. What time do you go to bed? Are you tired?
Allow your browser access to your microphone, press the button «Record» and record the speech you have prepared.
Listen attentively to the audio
Now listen to each sentence separately and write them down in the boxes below. If you hear a contracted form (e.g. didn’t), then use it instead of the full one.
If you hear a full form, use this full form. If you hear a number, please write it down in letters.
- New word — *Brighton — is a seaside resort in the county of East Sussex (England).
Listen and check
Can you answer these questions about your friend?
1. What time does he/she get up?
2. What does he/she have for breakfast?
3. Where does he/she have lunch?
4. How does he/she get to work or school?
5. What time does he/she go to bed?
6. Write about your friend answering the questions
Советы по написанию задания
1. Прочитайте внимательно задание и/или вопросы.
2. Составьте план того, о чем хотите написать.
3. Напишите текст по составленному плану.
4. Перечитайте написанный текст перед отправкой на проверку.
5. Здесь вы найдете правила написания и пример задания.
6. Воспользуйтесь программой Grammarly, которая поможет избежать опечаток и исправит некоторые грамматические ошибки.